Thursday, March 10, 2005

She Was the Star of the Show

A couple of Christmases ago, my promise of a couple of drinks and a nice seafood meal enticed my roommate to accompany me to the annual dinner meeting of an astronomy club I belong to. I knew she would be younger than most of the attendees but I figured with her bubbly personality she'd fit in just fine.

Everybody there was a dignitary as far as I was concerned, but to her they were just strangers, yet she was careful to maintain her little-girl poise and sense of wonder, asking non-technical questions about stars, planets, astronomy, and the universe of the couples sitting around us. They included the president of the club, the director of a leading planetarium, and a fellow who is considered to be one of the foremost amateur astronomers in the state, and their wives.

While I was mentally applauding her for her grace and composure she became thoughtful for a moment and it was clear to me she was wondering what else she might offer in conversation. Suddenly her eyes twinkled and she looked straight at the nearby dignitaries, sticking out her tongue at them as she said "I've got a star -- on my tongue ring!"

Sure enough, SHE DID! -- Dalton Hammond

Tongue ring

No comments: